Senior Lawyer, Negligence Litigation (Vpsg5)
Department of Education and Training
The Department leads the delivery of education and development services to children, young people and adults both directly through government schools and indirectly through the regulation and funding of early childhood services, non-government schools and training programs. The Legal Division provides highly valued legal services across the Department's portfolios which include early childhood, schools, higher education, and training and skills.
Senior Lawyer, Negligence Litigation / Ongoing - Full Time
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work as a Senior Lawyer in the Negligence, Litigation and Redress Unit (NLR) within the Workplace and Education Law branch (WEL) of the Department of Education and Training's Legal Division.
The purpose of this role is to strategically advise on and co-ordinate litigated and non-litigated negligence claims against the Department. This role encompasses a wide range of claims made across Victorian government schools including student bullying, sexual assault, injuries on school grounds and property damage. The role requires a strategic, decisive and experienced litigation lawyer with a sensitive and compassionate approach given the nature of the claims and reputational risks for the Department.
The Senior Lawyer - Negligence Litigation will:
- manage a high-volume negligence litigation caseload (involving bullying claims, personal injury claims and historical sexual abuse claims);
- foster and manage relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders (including external law firms and unrepresented claimants);
- assist with the management and assessment of non-litigated negligence claims involving the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA);
- assist their Principal Lawyer and Managers with the development and mentoring of junior lawyers; and
- demonstrate leadership qualities and be accountable for their own work program and development, exercise good judgment, and escalate matters to their Principal Lawyer and Managers as appropriate.
How to apply
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, apply now! Applications must include a current resume and separate written document addressing each of the 5 key selection criteria outlined in the position description.
To find out more about this role, please view the position description attached. Alternatively, you can contact Erika Codognotto, (03) 7022 0921 and Ella van der Merwe, (03) 7022 0939, Principal Lawyer and Manager, Negligence Litigation and Redress Unit
Department of Education and Training is committed to diversity. The Department places considerable effort and resources into responding to the needs of staff with a disability. People from disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply for this position. If you require assistance, with the recruitment process, have accessibility or adjustment requirements, please communicate with the contact person listed on this job advertisement or contact the People Division via email: email@example.com
Information about the Department of Education and Training's operations and employment conditions can be obtained from the following websites: www.education.vic.gov.au and http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Pages/default.aspx.
Applications close 12 April 2021
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: